Adonia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Adonia

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discussion

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Discussion Empty Discussion Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Juls

Juls
Admin

General discussion relating to this era.

2Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Juls

Juls
Admin

Kurt wrote:I would like to propose the possibilities of multiple minor conflicts up until the late 50's, then maybe a larger more united war that could cause the forming of the Adonian Community. This war though would not be like World War II as there would not only be no victor and would not have as many participants as World War II did (only major powers, isolated continent)

Unless there is a way to unify multiple countries to create a community of sorts without war, but you would have to assume countries will be too imperialistic to consider that. Definitely shoot me down if there is a better yet still realistic way to cause the forming of the Adonian Community because I hate the idea of having to use war.

AC could be formed without war (i.e. as a continuity and enlargement of this kind of thing) but a major global war is much more efficient in bringing the world together. Either way could work, just need to discuss on it, not in locked threads Wink

3Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Kurt

Kurt

It could be done with war but it should be done in a way so it isn't a copy-paste of World War II.

4Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Juls

Juls
Admin

I think the idea of a Great Adonian War was liked by most members in Old Adonia, which we could even RP, btw. Of course it cannot and will not be a copy of World War II or World War I, but I think a long international war in that era would be interesting. Not only did these wars shape the current modern world, but it helped to develop technologies (radar, aviation, tanks, and nuclear weapons especially) and national identities (victors, defeated, superpowers, etc.).

5Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:56 am

Agunter999

Agunter999

Without some great war we d9nt get the technological transformation we need to become developed, so really we either need a war or 100 years to develop without one

6Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:16 am

stanislavsoltys

stanislavsoltys

There needs to be a global war, because IRL the major wars of the 20th century really did make the world as we know it the way it is. If a major war is to be decided, of course it would need to be catastrophic enough that the international community decides enough is enough and tries to rid of war. At least to please the populous that keeps these leaders in power.

7Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:42 am

ArchMikeM

ArchMikeM

The idea that "the world wouldn't be where it is without war" idea is limited and biased, considering that's the only course of events we know. The technological achievements made between the 1950's and the last ten years of the 21st century both dwarf those made during the second world war, and were developed during relative peace time. Sure you could say much of what we developed now was only possible because of wartime breakthroughs, but it also shows technology and society can advance during the absence of Total War.

The benefits of a fictional world include the fact that the people living in that world can be anything we want them to be, and do anything we want them to do. Humans on Earth are an aggressive, territorial species with the goal of obtaining power over others. When we don't like something, we attack it. That's why war is so prevalent in our civilization. Why does Adonia have to mirror this? Yes conflict and aggression exists in all life to varying degrees, so why can't life on Adonia have this trait turned down a notch? A species that invests more interest in developing the quality of life, exploring the world, and discovering the new instead of weilding the biggest stick.

I'm not saying eliminate all trace of conflict, I'm saying not make it the root cause of everything.

That said...I see you're going to use the same calender again? Aww, no fancy new range of dates for this? C'mon, make it the year 50 of the tenth era or something. Razz

8Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:09 am

Agunter999

Agunter999

If we are going to change human nature ( which I'm not too sure about) making them more aggressive would be my preferred option :p

9Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Juls

Juls
Admin

MichaelvM wrote:That said...I see you're going to use the same calender again? Aww, no fancy new range of dates for this? C'mon, make it the year 50 of the tenth era or something. Razz

Don't want to confuse everyone and it's far more practical to use the same calendar with the same technology Razz

10Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 pm

stanislavsoltys

stanislavsoltys

MichaelvM wrote:A species that invests more interest in developing the quality of life, exploring the world, and discovering the new instead of weilding the biggest stick.

I like this idea. War would be nice, but I'd say that in our world it would be better to make it happen only when it's come to the point where there's no other way.

11Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Juls

Juls
Admin

stanislavsoltys wrote:
MichaelvM wrote:A species that invests more interest in developing the quality of life, exploring the world, and discovering the new instead of weilding the biggest stick.

I like this idea. War would be nice, but I'd say that in our world it would be better to make it happen only when it's come to the point where there's no other way.

Would an escalation of tension between main powers, not necessarily alliances like WWI but several conflicts just happening at the same time leading to forming alliances between nations, some breaking in the middle, some lasting the whole time, some unexpected alliances and plots Wink could be interesting to have a three way war instead of two clear blocs too. Plenty of possibilities geek

Last edited by Juls on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total

12Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:40 pm

stanislavsoltys

stanislavsoltys

Juls wrote:
stanislavsoltys wrote:

Would an escalation of tension between main powers, not necessarily alliances like WWI but several conflicts just happening at the same time leading to forming alliances between nations, some breaking in the middle, some lasting the whole time, some unexpected alliances and plots Wink could be interesting to have a three way war instead of two clear blocs too. Plenty of possibilities geek

That would be quite catastrophic.

13Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 am

Juls

Juls
Admin

stanislavsoltys wrote:
Juls wrote:
stanislavsoltys wrote:

That would be quite catastrophic.

That's the point Wink jaja

14Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:07 am

Agunter999

Agunter999

I am all for a major catastrophic war because what is better than war? Razz

15Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:19 pm

Juls

Juls
Admin

Agunter999 wrote:I am all for a major catastrophic war because what is better than war? Razz

Make love, not war, condoms are cheaper than nuclear bombs.

16Discussion Empty Re: Discussion Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Agunter999

Agunter999

Yet comdoms are great for keeping gun muzzels dry

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum